Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Health Kick

Last night called for a MAJOR health reboot after the absolute disgustingness of Superbowl weekend. I have never felt more like my arteries were closing up with each bite than I did on Sunday, and the excess Coors Light to ease the pain of the Pats losing did not help either.

I took it upon myself to go overboard on my health on Monday as a "thank you" to my body for putting up with me. I had been wanting to try kale chips for a while, since SO many people say they are life-changing and that they taste just like regular chips (but a 4903503458348 times better for you).

After making and trying them, I can say with confidence that this is 100% true. They. are. amazing. It helps that they're tossed in oil and you can put sea salt on them (yessss), but even without it, the crunchy texture is just amazing and they barely taste like a vegetable. I will be making them again frequently...probably tomorrow.


I had also been wanting to try this recipe for quinoa "burgers" (I'm really into burger-shaped things lately, apparently!) for quite some time, and last night was as good a time as any as quinoa is one of my favorite super-health foods. 

Though it's a fantastic recipe, it does take quite a while to make since you have to cook the quinoa and then let it cool before making it into patties and pan frying them. So, what was I going to do with my time?

Go for a run, of course! Just kidding - that's not obvious at all. I haven't run in at least 6 months, but it was 45 degrees at 8pm last night, I had just bought a pair of gym spandex, and really, when else have I ever been able to run outside in Boston in February?

I ran WAY further than I thought I could - actually farther than I have ever been able to without taking a break. My cardio seshes at the gym must be paying off, even though I NEVER run there! SO happy, clearly.

When I got home, it was time to finish up my "real" dinner. I will say flat out that this was NOT an easy task - quinoa is really not made to be sculpted into burger form. A bunch of messy flips and FAR more cooking time than the recipe noted, I got to dig into these:


Pretty ugly, but delicious! It felt so good to be really taking care of myself for the first time in a while - I even felt great when I woke up this morning despite not sleeping even near enough to be refreshed. So, here marks the beginning of my health/body makeover. Let's see how long this lasts...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your sweet comments - each one truly makes my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...